Thursday, April 21, 2011

Martha's Tofu with Snap Peas and Scallions

A few weeks ago my friend Brian brought over some back copies of Everyday Food and Whole Living.  After thumbing through the pages I saw this recipe for Tofu with Snap Peas and Scallions and decided to go with it. The dish was so unbelievably easy to make and it was very flavorful.  I rarely use sugar snap peas, but since they are in season I took it as a sign.  I'm trying to get into the habit going dairy-free one day a week.  This probably sounds easy to most people, but I have been afflicted with an intense need-to-put-cheese-on-everything disease.  This is my attempt to change least for one dinner.
Enjoy this light, simple, dairy-free and delicious dish.  The recipe says it serves 4, but I liked it so much that it only served 2.    
Tofu with Snap Peas and Scallions (Courtesy of Martha Stewart, Whole Living, May 2011)
Serves 4
1 14 oz block soft tofu, quartered
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 oz sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens and whites separated
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce (I used a little bit more)
1/2 tsp cane sugar
Coarse salt (I added a little bit more soy sauce, so I didn't use any salt directly...)

  1. In a medium pot, cover tofu with water and bring to a gentle simmer.  Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add peas and scallion whites and sauté, stirring, until peas are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to a medium bowl.
  3. Mix in scallion greens, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, and 1 Tbsp water.  Season with salt (I didn't need any salt.)
  4. Drain tofu and divide among plates.  Top with pea mixture.

Follow Me on Pinterest


  1. Sure does look easy and sounds yummy.
    Will try it soon.

  2. Excellent, simple recipe. I made this last week and will make it again tonight. I used extra-firm tofu and it came out wonderfully.