Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Shvitzfest Quencher: Brian's Homemade Berry Limeade


The temperature in New York City is above 90 degrees, so it's hot, hot, hot! Cooling stations have been opened city-wide and most playgrounds have the sprinklers going at full blast. Fans are oscillating and air-conditioners are running. We are officially in the midst of a heat wave.
We've been having a slight air-conditioning issue in our apartment because the security bars on the back porch windows 
have to be opened in order to put an air-conditioner in-- and it's a bit of a challenge to keep switching it in and out. So the bedrooms are cool and comfortable. The common/living area and kitchen, not so much. 
That means I am having chilled soups, big salads and some pasta salad I made yesterday for the next few days. I'd have to be insane to turn on the oven or have the burners on for more than a few minutes.
Lucky for me, I've got the perfect cool-down recipe...Brian's Berry Limeade. This refreshing beverage was a big hit at The Dinner Club, Part II and I'm making a big batch of it today.
Enjoy and keep cool!


Brian's Berry Limeade
Ingredients
8 limes, squeezed with no seeds
1 bottle of organic black cherry juice (I think it's Lakewood brand)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 container of roughly squeezed raspberries
2/3 container of raspberries
1/3 container of roughly squeezed blueberries
2/3 container of blueberries
1/2 cup of simple syrup
Directions
Combine lime juice, cherry juice and orange juice in large bowl with roughly squeezed blueberries & raspberries (I squeezed them in my hand and put all of the mushed bits in the concoction).  Let sit for 15-20 minutes.  Strain into two pitchers and add remaining raspberries & blueberries.  (I made everything in my oversized glass pitcher.) Add in simple syrup to taste.  Put into fridge & let it sit for at least 2 hours.  Will keep for 3 days (if it lasts that long).  
I add a few crushed mint leaves for garnish. 
Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. The pictures made the drink look so good I just had to make it. I added some sparkling water for a little bubbly kick. What a great way to end a hot day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete