Thursday, November 3, 2011

Country Living's Spiced Pumpkin Waffles

Last weekend I went back home to NYC for a wedding. It was beautiful. The beaming bride was gorgeous, the groom looked great (love the look of tux-n-sneakers) and the food was traditional Korean.  I ate my body weight in kimchi. (Fermented cabbage, I love you!)
In addition to the wedding, I wanted to see some Northeast fall foliage, check out Occupy Wall Street and catching up with a few friends. I made it down to the protests, I saw some family and friends, but the foliage didn't really happen. That's because the strangest weather pattern ever to hit the eastern seaboard at the end of October, made its way through the New York City-Tri-state area. Wind gusts were toppling trees, and the hail and falling snow didn't seem to stop. I should have checked the weather channel before packing my bags, because I was totally unprepared and less-than weather appropriate for the wedding (read: sleeveless dress and open toe shoes). Nevertheless, I had a fabulous time.  
Now I'm back in Colorado and Halloween preparations are in full swing. Otis will be donning a cow costume (moo) and baby Theo will be trick-or-treating as a pumpkin, hat included.  
I'm kinda going nutty for all things pumpkin these days. I've put them in pancakes, muffins, chili, soup, and cupcakes. Pumpkins are on almost every door step in my neighborhood... and while I was on a morning walk I started craving pumpkin waffles. We have a really great waffle maker and it was time to bust it out.
I did a google search for 'spiced pumpkin waffles' and a recipe post from Smitten Kitchen came up, as did another one from Country Living (which is where I think SK got at least part of her inspiration, given the similarity of the ingredients). 
I decided to go with the Country Living recipe, adapting it only slightly. It's so autumnal and so delicious. Top the waffles with a pat of butter and some good maple syrup.  Maybe even some roasted pecans or some powdered sugar? It's a great way to start off your day!  
{Note: You can refrigerate the leftover batter for use the next day.}  
Spiced Pumpkin Waffles (Adapted slightly from Country Living)
Serves 8-10
Ingredients
2 1/2 cup(s) All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon(s) Baking Powder
2 1/4 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
1 teaspoon(s) Ginger
1/2 teaspoon(s) Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) Fresh-Ground Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon(s) Cloves
4 Large Eggs
2 cup(s) Buttermilk
1 cup(s) Pumpkin Purée
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon(s) Pure Vanilla Extract
Directions
Preheat a waffle iron. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl and set aside.
Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin purée, sugar, butter, and vanilla in another large bowl until smooth. While whisking, add the flour mixture and blend until smooth.
Generously coat the waffle iron with vegetable oil (I used a pastry brush and lightly coated the iron) and cook the batter in the waffle iron as recommended in the manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. See, there you go again with the deliciousness that is Pumpkin...I know now that we are destined to have tea together. Or perhaps waffles. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Theresa! Are you ready for this one: Spiced Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap and Hazelnut crust. That's what Im brining to a friend's place over Thanksgiving. The recipe was in the latest issue of Saveur. Im also thinking about pumpkin creme brulee. Too much? I think Im officially addicted! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete