Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tarry Lodge Inspired Pizza: Goat Cheese, Pistachio and Truffled Honey

Most of the time I follow the recipes from my favorite cookbooks or food blogs.  On occasion I adapt them to better suit my taste preferences (or those of the more discerning Señor Otis).  Here, however, I tried to recreate the pizza I ate a few months back at Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's (yes, son of Lidia) Port Chester eatery, Tarry Lodge.  
The pie is pretty much adaptable once you have the following ingredients: good quality pizza dough (home made or store bought), olive oil, red onion, chopped pistachio nuts, goat cheese, salt, and honey (admittedly truffled honey is the way to go, but I used the store-bought kind...you know, the one in the little plastic bear with yellow top).  
I pre-heated the oven to 475 degrees and put the pizza stone in the oven.  It took about 1/2 hour for the stone to get hot.  Then I divided the dough so that I had enough dough for 2 small pies (each the size of a traditional pizza stone) and sprinkled it with a generous amount of flour.  After flattening the dough and stretching it onto an oiled mesh disk, I drizzled it with olive oil and honey.  I brushed the edges of the pie with additional olive oil. 
Then I put the red onion (very thinly sliced) and pistachios on the pie and sprinkled it with some salt.  
Into the oven it went on my pizza stone...
After about 7 minutes, I took it out of the oven and drizzled it with a bit more olive oil and honey.  Then I put the goat cheese on top of the pie.  I cooked it for about 3-4 more minutes and then dinner was served. (Pie should be slightly golden.)
Thanks for the inspiration, Tarry Lodge!
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. I've been to Tarry Lodge and I've had this pizza. It really is delicious. Nice pick and beautiful photos. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post doesn't have a detailed-recipe like most of your other posts seem to have, so I am not sure what amounts of honey, cheese, etc. you used, but I made this for dinner tonight and the combination was DELICIOUS! What a lovely change from our standard marinara/margherita! Thank you and Tarry Lodge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meira and Kathy! I love the combination of these ingredients and don't really have a set amount for any particular one-- yours is just as good as mine! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete